It is aimed specifically at farmers, people who work with farmers and smaller organisations that would not normally have ready access to innovation and research funding.
- Do you have an innovative idea for improving dairy farming practices?
- Need some funding to help you make it happen?
Projects that are funded will demonstrate their success by showing on farm improvements that can be readily and easily taken up by New Zealand dairy farmers.
How do I make an On-Farm Innovation Fund application?
- It is easy to apply. Just fill out and submit a DairyNZ On-Farm Innovation Fund (OFIF) Application form at any time.
- You can then send your completed application by:
- Post: OFIF Business Manager, DairyNZ Ltd, Private Bag 3221, Hamilton 3240
- or Email: email@example.com
- You can call the OFIF Business Manager to discuss the funding criteria and get help to complete your application.
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0800 4 DAIRYNZ (0800 4 324 7969)
What are the key criteria for assessing if a project qualifies for funding?
Some of the key criteria used for assessing projects include:
- The project being able to provide an impact on-farm
- The project will have a tangible and identifiable outcome
- There is a good fit with the Dairy Industry Strategy
- A strong farmer involvement in the project.
What is the process for considering my application?
- Expert opinion is sought, along with expertise within the review team. This is used to make a decision on whether or not to fund your application.
- There may be queries or requests for additional information to assist the review team with their decision.
- A recommendation will be provided to the DairyNZ Strategy and Investment Committee and the final decision communicated to you.
- You will be kept up to date throughout the process and can contact the OFIF Business Manager directly as needed.
- If the application is unsuccessful, DairyNZ will notify you and endeavour to provide feedback.
- The information you provide in your application will be kept confidential. Information in an application will remain confidential to the applicants, DairyNZ management and DairyNZ reviewers. DairyNZ may use application information in situations where there is an opportunity for project amalgamation. Any reviewer comments solicited by DairyNZ are confidential to DairyNZ.
How long will it take?
- It takes about 8 weeks for a review cycle of an application to the fund.
How much can I apply for?
- Generally projects will be funded up to $50,000 and are usually up to a year in duration.
What happens if the application is successful?
- Contract of service: Depending on the project complexity, outcomes and funding amount either a simple letter of agreement or a full contract will be set up. Note that this step needs to be completed before funding can be guaranteed.
- Simple letter agreements set out what you will deliver and when, any intellectual property arrangements and payment terms
- Full contracts set out the terms and conditions of receiving the funding and the work to be undertaken. This is a negotiation phase where agreement on work to be undertaken is finalised and this may differ from the application.
- Projects will be aligned with a programme of work and a Strategy and Investment Leader at DairyNZ. Addition of a DairyNZ employee to the project team may be requested to facilitate project delivery and capture of outcomes.
- All projects will be expected to provide:
- The agreed outputs and outcomes
- Quarterly reporting during the project
- A summary at the end of the project that is used to inform farmers of your innovation
Click here to see current and past OFIF projects