If you’re thinking of trying something new on-farm, or are facing challenges and would like to talk to someone with experience, sign-up today and we’ll be in touch with a support farmer who best suits your situation.
This service is available to all farmers; owners, sharemilkers, managers, contract milkers, and farm assistants.
Our Dairy Connect farmers want to encourage others in the industry by sharing their experiences, both good and bad. Many of our support farmers have themselves benefited from mentors and are keen to return the favour to those that need it.
Read biographies for some of our 450 support farmers below.
Corrie and Donna own seven farms in the North and South Island totalling 3400 Friesian cows.
John Assen is currently a 50:50 sharemilker in Taupiri with 400 cows.
Areas of support
our areas of support include, but are not limited to:
- Improving reproductive performance
- Overcoming an animal health issue
- Managing cows through the winter
- Rearing youngstock
- Milking intervals e.g OAD/16hrs
Pasture and Feed
- Pasture renovation
- Nutrient management
- New crop or excellent crop yields
- Pasture monitoring and budgeting tools
- Managing pasture weeds and/or pests
- Using supplements
- Setting up or upgrading an effluent system
- Farm infrastructure changes - e.g. feed pad, wintering homes, milking shed improvements
- Water use and management
- Staff recruitment and orientation
- Retaining staff
- Creating more efficient milking routines
- Creating a practical farm manual
- Farm health & safety
- Dealing with depression or workplace stress
- Having students or short term workers
- Networking groups or neighbourhood support systems
- Setting goals and strategies for the future
- Developing and monitoring cashflows and budgets
- Positioning yourself for future career opportunities
- Succession planning