Before the storm
- Designate family or staff to secure homes, then farm buildings
- Shift stock to a sheltered, secure area away from trees or buildings
- Store or tie down anything that might blow away
- Turn off gas appliances and tanks
- Turn off electric power to avoid surges
- Park machinery well away from buildings and trees that may blow over
- Have tarpaulins, plastic covers and ropes ready
- Tune in to the local radio station.
Once the worst is over
- Check family, staff and neighbours
- Check and secure stock. Ensure they have enough water
- Check power and phone and report faults
- If the power is out, look for trees over lines, fallen poles. Treat all lines as live
- Check and secure farm buildings
- Check and clear races and road access. Report problems.