The challenge of running a business is being able to make decisions which ultimately shape where you will end up. The more educated and informed your decision-making, the better.
Profitable farmers are often lifelong learners. Top farmers don't necessarily have formal qualifications but are farmers who value learning and attend conferences, short-courses, discussion groups and seminars.
- If you are keen to improve your financial skills with the flexibility of learning at home, try the Career Pathways tool or Money Management Basics to help get you started.
- Primary ITO, polytechnic institutes and universities offer agribusiness and farm management training that will help you to succeed in farming. For more information on training providers see below.
- Interested in workshops or discussion groups that aim to improve your financial skills and understanding? The following DairyNZ initiatives may help:
- Take advantage of the rural professionals who support your business: i.e. rural bankers, farm consultants, accountants, veterinarians and company representatives (e.g. fertiliser reps). Having a good team around you providing you with information about the current farming situation is invaluable for your business.
- Dairy Training Limited
- Primary ITO
- Massey University
- Lincoln University
- Telford Rural Polytechnic
- Taratahi Agricultural Training Centre