DairyNZ and Fonterra are leading a seven-year, $170 million innovation programme,
Transforming the Dairy Value Chain. This is jointly funded by industry and the Ministry for Primary Industries through the Primary Growth Partnership. The programme also features contributions by Synlait, LIC, New Zealand Young Farmers, Agricultural Services Limited, Landcorp Farming and ZESPRI.
The Transforming the Dairy Value Chain programme is using many approaches and
techniques to address a range of challenges and opportunities.
Pre-farm gate initiatives are focused on boosting on-farm productivity without increasing the dairying environmental footprint. They will deliver novel technologies, improved information flow and enhanced advisory services as well as support for stronger and growing on-farm capability.
Research beyond the farm gate is focused on human nutrition, food structure and processing and food quality management. It will improve processes in manufacturing and supply, to take dairy into new product ranges and to more customers and markets.
- People Power - from gate to plate - brochure 2016
- Innovate / Accelerate - brochure 2016
- Outcomes to date and quarterly progress reports
Innovate - technology
- Livestock Improvement - Increasing the reliability of prediction of breeding values of young bulls
- CRV Ambreed - FE-Tolerant sires available to breed FE-Tolerance back into your dairy herds.
- Synlait - Value-added special milks designed to meet unique requirements.
- Dairy Industry Good Database - Industry owned information and data for all dairy farmers
- Farm Data Standards - Common Data Vocabularies promoting efficient data exchange
Innovate - capability
- Centre of Excellence in Farm Business Management - Dedicated to increasing farm business management capability
- NZ Young Farmers - social network pipeline for development of leadership and personal skills of rural youth
- PICA - Open a door into the primary industries
- SMASH - Support, information and community for smaller milk and supply herds
- Rural Governance Development - Face the challenges with confidence
- Wellbeing - Doing your job well depends on you being in a healthy and balanced place
Accelerate - capability
- Farm Dairy Effluent System Design Accreditation Programme - a new way forward for Effluent System Design in NZ
- Certified Body Condition Scorers - designed to help standardise condition scoring across New Zealand
- Nutrient Management Certification Programme - build and uphold a transparent set of industry standards and provide nationally consistent advice
- Dairy Effluent Warrant of Fitness - Certified WoF assessors offer a very thorough and consistent assessment of effluent systems.
- People Management and Dairy Farm Systems certification - providing assurance and confidence that rural professionals have the required skills and knowledge in the provision of professional advice.