Changes were made to the BCS Assessor Programme in 2017 and are outlined below. Discover what's changing and why, and also who to contact if you want further information.
Why is the programme changing?
- As part of a continuous improvement of this programme we undertook a review and sought participant feedback which we have taken that on board along with feedback from a dedicated stakeholder advisory group.
- To date the programme has been funded under the Transforming the Dairy Value Chain Primary Growth Partnership programme and this funding is drawing to a close.
What is changing:
- For certified assessors we have removed the requirement for three-monthly online and annual on-farm assessments and replaced them with an annual on-farm calibration event designed to help you remain calibrated to the industry standard. For those whose certification has lapsed for two years or less, you can re-establish your certification by attending a calibration event. If your certification has lapsed for more than two years you will need to be re-assessed. Learn about what a calibration event will look like here.
- We have been working to build a Calibration Team of 12, made up of 4 DairyNZ Animal Care Extension Specialists and 8 regional based rural professionals (Calibration Assessors). Our regionally based professionals with support and oversight of DairyNZ, will be responsible for the delivery of the training and calibration events.
- The overall management of the programme, previously with AsureQuality, has been moved back internally within DairyNZ. DairyNZ will continue to provide oversight of the programme, maintain the participant database, publish certified assessors via the DairyNZ website and monitor/moderate activity to ensure that the integrity of the programme is maintained.
- The cost for initial training which has to date been fully subsidised will now be delivered on a user pays basis.
- Registration for assessments will be done through a new system on the DairyNZ BCS webpage click here.
- If you are currently certified you will be sent a reminder ahead of your calibration anniversary. Note: we will contact you using the most recent contact information we have for you. If your contact details have changed please let us know. If you don’t receive an invite please contact your local Calibration Assessor or DairyNZ.
- To register for training workshops and calibration events contact your local Calibration Assessor. Details can be found on the DairyNZ BCS events webpage.
- The old BCS event registration site is no longer active. Please use the links above
What is staying the same:
- The strict 6 monthly calibration and on-going assessment requirements for the Calibration Team remains, ensuring the integrity of the programme is maintained and consistency across all regions.
- The Animal Care Extension Specialists – ACES (DairyNZ members of the Calibration Team) will continue to run the assessment events for those who have not previously passed an assessment.
To view the Calibration Team who are responsible for running the Certified BCS Assessor Programme click here.
If you have any further questions or comments please contact:
021 241 1128