You have a problem finding clinical cases if you have:
- Clots on the milk filter after every milking
- SCC grades
- SCC alerts or warnings
- Spikes in SCC (+50,000 cells/ml)
- Upward trend in SCC steeper than target curve - see Guideline 11.1
- SCC above industry average - see Industry Benchmarks.
- Above average SCC and annual clinical case below average - see Industry Benchmarks
Your options include:
- Work out value of improving mastitis control. Go to SmartSAMM Gap Calculator.
- Strip herd to find missed clinicals. See:
- Healthy Udder - Find 1 for finding clinicals
- Guideline 4.2 for defining clinical cases for treatment
- Guideline 5.2 for ways to strip whole herd.
- Find high SCC cows. Arrange an emergency herd test or check herd with an RMT (Rapid Mastitis Test). Closer inspection may reveal clinical signs. See:
- Healthy Udder - Find 2 for tips on using an RMT
- Get help - a second pair of eyes (vet, milk quality advisor) can help spot problems with your systems. Go to: