Areas where cows stand and lie down should be kept clear of manure and dirt, as keeping udders and teats clean will reduce mastitis caused by environmental bacteria. Regular cleaning and maintenance of areas that become muddy will make keeping udders easier.
Guideline 26 provides practical information on:
- Actions to take if dirty areas cannot be avoided
- Cleaning and renovating areas that frequently become muddy
- Cleaning and maintaining areas where cows are stood off-pasture
Technote 26 provides technical information for farmers and advisers on:
- Considerations when developing different infrastructure
- Short-term management solutions of infrastructure for reducing mastitis