Born and raised on a dairy farm, John holds a B.ComAg from Lincoln University. He has been full time farming for 10 years (50:50 Sharemilking for 7) and is currently a 50:50 sharemilker in Taupiri with 400 cows.
Reason for getting involved in Dairy Connect
I have benefited greatly from advice and experience of other farmers and would like to help others in this regard, where possible.
Areas of success in your business that you would be happy to talk through with others
- 6 week In calf rate last three seasons >77%, previously 60-70%. + MT rate down to 7% from 16%.
- 1/3 of mastitis cases compared to previous years.
- Calves achieving above LIC targets with low cost simple system
- Monthly monitoring of budget, allows to plan for debt repayments etc.
- Aggressive debt repayments in order to grow, thanks to good cost control low drawings.
- Simple profitable system, grass based. PKE use varies depending on pasture and payout. Maize in Autumn, bailage in winter. No feed pad.
- Winner of 'Best 1st year pasture in Pasture renewal comp 2013'.
- Weekly farm walks and use of data has saved us heaps of supplementary feed costs.
Other farm / business information, points of difference or interest
- A real focus on maximising pasture harvested on the property through pasture management and aligning pasture supply and demand.
- Involved in two additional 50:50 sharemilking positions with business partner Aaron Price.