FeedRight is a learning package of tools, resources, and training for both dairy farmers and their advisors; designed to improve industry knowledge on nutrition and feed management to ensure farmers receive consistent evidence-based advice.
FeedRight programme and training
FeedRight training for rural professionals
Register your interest in FeedRight training in 2018/2019.
Future FeedRight workshops are listed below. If you live outside these regions you can still use the registration form to express your interest. If there is enough interest a workshop may be planned for your region.
Workshop 1 Workshop 2 Waikato 6-7 Dec 2018 Late Jan/early Feb 2019 Taranaki 3-4 Apr 2019 Late Oct 2019 WORKSHOP FULL * Canterbury 8-9 May 2019 Early Nov 2019 Southland 5-6 Jun 2019 Late Nov 2019
* This workshop is full however please use the form to register your interest future workshops.
Note: Second workshops will be held on dates agreed by workshop 1 participants.
FeedRight training is delivered by DairyNZ's Jane Kay, Senior Scientist, and aimed at rural professionals who offer, or plan to offer, feed management or nutrition advice. The training provides participants with the capability and knowledge to provide seasonally appropriate, profitable, and sustainable nutrition and feed management advice to dairy farmers.
FeedRight training key learning objectives
- understanding of dairy cow nutrition and feed management in pasture-based systems
- knowledge and use of relevant and evidence-based resources and information
- capability to help farmers make informed decisions regarding dairy cow management and feed nutrition.
The FeedRight course includes
- one e-learning module and assessment: Dairy Nutrition Principles and Theory
- two practical workshops
- Workshop 1: Transition Period and Early Lactation
- Workshop 2: Mid and Late Lactation and Dry Period
Register for FeedRight training
Register your interest in FeedRight training here and you will be emailed upcoming workshop details.
To get started early on the FeedRight training content visit NZIPIM (New Zealand Institute of Primary Industry Management) and create a free account to complete the:
- self-rating tool - identify areas you may need to further develop prior to attending the workshops
- e-learning modules - learn the basic principles of cow nutrition
FeedRight is DairyNZ-run training but hosted on NZIPIM's website. You do not need to be a NZIPIM member to access this website and training; simply create an account and log in.
FeedRight resources for farmers, advisors and teachers
These resources aim to provide information to make profitable and sustainable feed management decisions.
Four interactive e-learning tutorials provide an introduction to key aspects of cow nutrition and feed management. Each e-learning tutorial is around 5-10 minutes long and contains short videos, quizzes, and voiceovers – make sure you have speakers or headphones.
- What a cow needs from her diet
- A cow’s digestive system
- What’s in a feed
- Pasture management
Start the FeedRight e-learning tutorials.
The four 10-minute videos finish with a quiz. Learn about carbohydrates, protein, fibre and fat in a cow's diet.
- The role of carbohydrates
- The role of protein
- The role of fibre
- The role of fat
Watch the FeedRight videos.
Supporting resources for farmers and advisors to feed right.
Get practical knowledge and learn key cow nutrition principles with these handy TechNotes.
The FeedRight e-learning tutorials cover the principles of dairy cow nutrition and feed management in pasture-based systems.
The FeedRight 10-minute videos cover the principles of dairy cow nutrition and feed management in pasture-based systems and finish with a quiz.
Feeding cows in spring
Summer feeding check
Spring feeding check