Widespread flooding across the Canterbury, West Coast, Tasman and Marlborough areas this winter has damaged pasture and caused losses to supplementary feed.
MPI supports Beef + Lamb New Zealand, Federated Farmers, DairyNZ and other specialist providers to offer free, one-on-one feed planning support to livestock owners. The Feed Planning Service can help farmers do a snapshot feed plan for the rest of winter and spring in as little as 20 minutes.
To get help from the Feed Planning Service, or to list or source feed or grazing through the Feed Coordination Service, farmers are encouraged to call 0800 FARMING (0800 327 646).
Farmers who need wellbeing support should contact their Rural Support Trust on 0800 RURAL HELP (0800 787 254).
DairyNZ (phone 0800 4 324 7969) and Federated Farmers (0800 327 646) can also be contacted for on-farm advice.
Applications for the expanded Canterbury Flood Recovery Fund are closed, however further details about the fund can be found here.
- Do a regrassing plan for flood-damaged paddocks.
- Use the free Feed Planning Service 0800 FARMING (0800 327 646) to complete a feed plan. A feed plan will help you calculate your feed demand and supply, and investigate options to fill feed gaps.
- Buy in feed if you need to. Source feed or grazing through the Feed Coordination Service 0800 FARMING (0800 327 646). Introduce feed slowly and reduce the risk of acidosis.
- Be realistic – how many stock units can you feed? Consider leasing out livestock or culling poor-performing animals.
- Get silt deposited over paddocks tested and get advice on the correct fertiliser according to the soil test.
- Grazing pasture coated in silt can cause animal health issues. If in doubt, seek advice from your veterinarian.
- It is highly likely more cows will calve early. Keep up regular observation of cows and spot abnormal behaviour that can be a sign of metabolic disorders.
- Most importantly, seek advice from your farm advisory service, or the sources listed below.
- DairyNZ flood resources
- DairyNZ: Decision tree for flood damaged farms
- Beef + Lamb New Zealand flood resources
- Beef + Lamb New Zealand: – Decision tree for flood damaged farms
- Ministry for Primary Industries flood recovery resources
- Federated Farmers