The variation to Healthy Rivers/Wai Ora: Proposed Plan Change 1 reinstates the area in the north-east of the Waikato River catchment that was withdrawn in November 2016 to enable full consultation with Pare Hauraki, as an impacted iwi.
The variation includes some amendments arising from consultation with Pare Hauraki, and proposes extensions of 20 months to some dates to enable landowners more time due to the delay.
At the meetings, the DairyNZ team will explain what the variation means for dairy farmers, provide guidance on how to write an effective submission and collect feedback to help inform its own submission.
Farmers are encouraged to make a submission if they disagree with any changes specific to the variation. They have until Wednesday, May 23. Further information, including the feedback form, is available at www.waikatoregion.govt.nz/healthyrivers.
DairyNZ strategy investment leader for responsible dairying, Dr David Burger, says it’s important for farmers to get involved in the process.
“There are a lot of different opinions in the community about what needs to be done by landowners to improve the health of the river and this is dairy farmers’ chance to have their voices heard. While DairyNZ submits on behalf of dairy farmers, farmers should get involved, know what their obligations are, and have their say.”
For more information visit www.dairynz.co.nz/healthyrivers or contact Waikato Regional Council – 0800 800 401.
Meetings will be held at:
- Cambridge, Thursday 19 April 2018, 7:00-9:00pm, Don Rowlands Centre. Karapiro Room. 601 Maungatautari Rd, Karapiro
- Reporoa, Monday 23 April 2018, 11:00-1:00pm, Reporoa Hall. Broadlands Rd, Reporoa
- Tokoroa, Tuesday 24 April 2018, 11:00-1:00pm, Tokoroa Club. 36 Chambers St, Tokoroa
- Te Awamutu, Thursday 26 April 2018, 7:00-9:00pm, Te Awamutu Club. 542 Alexandra St, Te Awamutu
- Te Kauwhata, Wednesday 2 May 2018, 11:00-1:00pm, Te Kauwhata Rugby Sports Club. The Domain. Mahi Rd, Te Kauwhata
- Aka Aka, Thursday 3 May 2018, 11:00-1:00pm, Aka Aka Hall. 809 Aka Aka Rd, Waiuku
Tel: 021 703 068