Established in 2001, each year bright young Kiwis have the opportunity to apply for scholarships on offer from the dairy industry. From 2021, the value of new scholarships will be $3000 towards fees per year (years two and three). Applications are open to school leavers.
Recipients are supported and mentored throughout their time at either Lincoln or Massey universities as well as being given opportunities to network with industry leaders.
Invaluable mentoring and support
A DairyNZ scholarship is more than financial support. Scholarship recipients are mentored and supported through university and can expect to gain employment in a variety of positions, either on-farm or in the support areas in dairying.
Although New Zealand’s tertiary education fees-free policy means students’ Year 1 course fees may be paid in full, students are encouraged to apply for a DairyNZ scholarship before their first year of study begins to benefit from the mentoring and networking opportunities from Year 1.
Eligibility and criteria
- Applicants need to have NCEA Level 3 or better and be either a New Zealand Citizen or New Zealand Permanent Resident. The scholarship is for up to three years.
- Students need to be registered in a full-time course at either Lincoln University or Massey University by 31 March in the year of the award and satisfactorily complete course work in each year preceding re-application.
The scholarships assist students meeting the costs of university study at Lincoln or Massey universities. All have a wide range of undergraduate degrees in dairy-related areas.
- Bachelor of Agriculture
- Bachelor of Agricultural Science
- Bachelor of Commerce (Agriculture)
- Bachelor of Science (Major Environmental Science)
- Bachelor of Agricultural Science
- Bachelor of AgriCommerce
- Bachelor of Science - Agricultural Science or Animal Science or Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Applied Economics in Agricultural Economics
- Bachelor of Animal Science (ruminant)
Please note: Veterinary Science, Veterinary Technology, Food Science and Food Technology degree programmes are not eligible for DairyNZ Scholarships.
Scholarships are awarded based on
- Evidence of and/or planned activity to support the New Zealand dairy sector.
- Academic merit.
- Evidence of potential leadership skills and/or service to the community or sporting activities etc.
- Agreement to contribute to the development and promotion of New Zealand dairy sector (such as school promotional visits, career days etc).
- Academic performance in the previous year of the course for re-application by existing scholars.
As part of the application, you must upload the following scanned documents:
- a cover letter explaining your reasons for applying for this scholarship
- one testimonial or reference from your school or university to support your application
- an NCEA summary; when applying, submit the most current version of your NCEA results and email through Level 3 results when received in January.
- evidence of your New Zealand citizenship or permanent residency.
Consider the below topics before completing the application, as you will be asked to write a short essay:
- outlining your proposed future (and any present) involvement with the New Zealand dairy sector
- demonstrating your leadership skills and/or your involvement with community, sports or other activities.
* When applying, submit the most current version of your NCEA results and email through Level 3 results when received in January.
Applications for the DairyNZ Scholarship Programme open each year on 1 September and close 7 December.
Current scholarship recipients
Since the scholarship programme started in 2001, the dairy industry has supported over 350 bright and talented young Kiwis in their university studies.
Their stories are real examples of how the scholarships have not only helped them financially, but created networking, learning and job opportunities they may not have otherwise had.
Over 300 have graduated, some are profiled here
See the current scholarship recipients here
For more information, contact Susan Stokes, DairyNZ Education Facilitator, 0800 4 DairyNZ (0800 4 324 7969), or 027 702 1263, firstname.lastname@example.org
"The DairyNZ scholarship will continue to be a huge help to me. I recommend it to anyone with a passion for the dairy industry, whether you come from a farming background or not."
"Being away from home for the first time it's really important to have the support and guidance of the scholarship programme."