Free three-week Farm Ready Training
Participants learn online about life and work on a farm (week 1), then get practical and learn the basics of animal handling and vehicle safety (weeks 2 and 3). The Farm Ready Training is for permanent residents or citizens of New Zealand only.
On completion of the training, Farm Ready Training participants will be eligible to receive $900 of PPE gear with proof of employment (a signed contract).
Can recent farm employees attend DairyNZ's Free Farm Ready Training?
Yes, they can sign up for the Free Farm Ready Training practical weeks 2 and 3 if they meet the following eligibility criteria:
- they have been employed on a dairy farm after 1 May 2020; and
- are either New Zealand citizens or permanent residents; and
- were adversely affected (or at risk of being adversely affected) by the economic impact of Covid-19; or
- on an MSD main benefit prior to being employed on a dairy farm.
How to recruit a Farm Ready Training participant
To reach Farm Ready Training participants, indicate at the top of your job advertisement ‘Career changers and/or DairyNZ's free Farm Ready Training participants are welcome.'
DairyNZ is unable to act in a recruitment capacity so on completion of the Free Farm Ready Training participants are advised to search for dairy jobs on websites such as:
- Farm Source jobs
- TradeMe Jobs
- Keep New Zealand Working (a new MSD jobs portal)
- Work the Seasons
Note: Jobs on Keep New Zealand Working are available to a much wider pool of potential employees than those registered with MSD - it is also now a requirement to advertise on this job site before working through any immigration process.
Support for employers of GoDairy trainee graduates
In some cases, extra support from MSD is available to support employers of GoDairy trainee graduates as they step into their first on-farm role.
- Apprenticeship Boost - Employers can get monthly payments to help keep or take on new apprentices. For a maximum of 20 months, employers of first-year apprentices can get $1,000 a month. Check out MSD’s overview or Primary ITO's information on this.
- Mana in Mahi - A wage subsidy of up to $16,000 in your employee's first year while they're still training, and funding for industry training course, and more.
- Flexi-wage - If you're interested in an MSD candidate but they need support to gain the required skills for the job, e.g. training or mentoring, MSD may be able to help with a subsidy.
More FREE training for employees
FREE training through Primary ITO includes Milk Harvesting, Livestock Husbandry, Feeding, Apprenticeships, and more.
Tools and resources for employers
To help build great dairy farming workplaces, people management tools, templates and information (e.g. contracts, onboarding, staff management, the first 90 days) have been refreshed to support you during the recruitment and selection phase and once staff are in employment during the onboarding phase.
DairyNZ is also providing our training participants with resources such as questions to ask potential employers to ensure the employment process goes smoothly for job seekers and employers.