Check long range weather forecasts. Is a La Nina or El Nino expected? Have a look at NIWA's long range weather predictions. Some forecasting companies have seasonal outlooks. If you are getting uncomfortably close to a trigger point, also check the MetService's 16-day forecast. Some regional councils also provide weather information.
Farming through the drought
Read more about management options during the drought:
- Have a plan in place
- Take action early
- Review the plan
- Set up for next season
- Ask for help if you need it.
Farming out of the drought
Read more about management options once the drought has broken:
- Limit the damage to this and future seasons
- Develop and implement a feed and financial recovery plan
- Start by growing more grass - slow rotation, nitrogen, regrassing
- Don't forget young stock
- Use your farming colleagues, advisors, accountant and banker.
- You might also be interested in summer management.
- DairyNZ Farmer Information Service: 0800 4 DAIRY NZ (0800 4 324 7969)
- Rural Support Trust: 0800 778 667
- Farmers of New Zealand: 09 439 5219