Check long range weather forecasts. Is a La Nina or El Nino expected? Have a look at NIWA's long range weather predictions. Some forecasting companies have seasonal outlooks. If you are getting uncomfortably close to a trigger point, also check the MetService's 16-day forecast. Some regional councils also provide weather information.
Drought recovery from early winter to calving
With Waikato and South Auckland regions currently experiencing drought conditions, pasture covers, body condition score and supplement levels will be lower than usual for some dairy farms. Find out more about what to expect and how to manage.
Farming through the drought
Read more about management options during the drought:
- Have a plan in place
- Take action early
- Review the plan
- Set up for next season
- Ask for help if you need it.
Farming out of the drought
Read more about management options once the drought has broken:
- Limit the damage to this and future seasons
- Develop and implement a feed and financial recovery plan
- Start by growing more grass - slow rotation, nitrogen, regrassing
- Don't forget young stock
- Use your farming colleagues, advisors, accountant and banker.
- You might also be interested in summer management.
- DairyNZ Farmer Information Service: 0800 4 DAIRY NZ (0800 4 324 7969)
- Rural Support Trust: 0800 778 667
- Farmers of New Zealand: 09 439 5219