Let's make a difference this winter
The farming sector has developed two resources to assist you with wintering this year. The first is a quick checklist you can use to spot any improvements you can make before winter arrives. The second is a Winter Grazing Plan which demonstrates to the Government that there is a commitment amongst farmers to continue lifting wintering standards. By using this guide, you’re taking the right steps to continue lifting on-farm winter grazing standards.
National and regional regulations
The Government is currently consulting on a series of changes to the winter grazing rules. A summary of these changes can be found here.
An effective wintering system
- supports good animal health and welfare
- minimises soil and nutrient loss to the environment
- complies with regional council regulations
- protects valuable topsoil
- complements the overall dairy farm system and the work of the team on farm
- has a contingency plan for periods of adverse weather
Podcast: What's next for wintering?
How did we arrive at our current wintering practices? What’s next for wintering animals on crop? And what kind of changes can you make on farm now? Find out in this episode with DairyNZ senior scientist Dr Dawn Dalley and Southland dairy farmer Rob Dingle.