Decisions made at drying off influence your herd's mastitis performance for the next 6 to 12 months. In the months before drying off, continue all recommendations from the lactation period, and consider these decisions:
- Which cows will need to dried off early, and when? See Dry cow strategy.
- Which cows need to be culled based on this year's mastitis records? See Culling.
- What dry cow treatment approach to use at drying off? See Dry cow strategy.
- Who will administer the dry cow treatments? Have they been trained sufficiently? See Administering dry cow treatments.
- How will milk yields be reduced in the last 1-2 weeks before drying off? See Dry off abruptly.
- How will cows be managed for the first 3 weeks after dry off? See Administering dry cow treatments.
Find practical advice and technical resources in this section to better prevent and treat mastitis when drying off.