Registrations close 31 March 2019
Designed by DairyNZ and delivered by specialists, Mark and Measure is relevant for any stage of the business journey making it suitable for farm owners, contractor milkers, and herd owning or variable sharemilkers.
- learn wealth creation and financial freedom
- determine a vision and set goals aligned to your values
- feel within your depth with customised course content
- delivered through a mix of interactive presentations and self-work
- analyse your business with experts on hand to help
- develop a platform for effective communication with partners
- benefit from networking and friendship opportunities with liked-minded people
- get the tools and confidence you need.
Mark and Measure 2019
Take control of your future and focus on your business without the interruptions of day-to-day life. The course is suitable for couples, business and family partnerships, and individuals.
- Taupo, Wairakei Resort, 21-23 May 2019
- Queenstown, Rydges Resort, 11-13 June 2019 - 4 places left (or 2 couples)
$1200* individual, $1900* couple (excl. GST)
95% of 2018 course attendees qualified for 50% off the course cost through the Management Capability Development Voucher Fund.
Management Capability Development Voucher Fund
Vouchers may be provided to a business where the Growth Advisors have identified a need for management training as part of an action plan to support the business owner to grow and innovate their business.
The Management Capability Development Vouchers are only available through the Regional Business Partner Network (RBP) Growth Advisors. Find out more by visiting Regional Business Partners. The funding is limited, and the Growth Advisors make decisions based on their own meetings with the business owner.
For more information on the Management Capability Development Voucher Fund or to find your local Growth Advisor go to Regional Business Partners.
The three-day course is designed around the six Mark and Measure principles, the 3W Strategic Management Process, and different learning styles. Participants contribute to whatever degree they feel comfortable - it’s your choice.
The six Mark and Measure principles
Success is unique to you
Your vision for tomorrow determines your actions today
Knowledge is your best investment
'Free cash’ creates choice and reduces risk
Investing = Criteria + Analysis + Action + Time
Little changes lead to extraordinary results
Three-day course structure
To ensure you come prepared, we support you with course pre-work to establish your business focus areas.
Before the course you will complete:
- Farm Gauge, the online farm business self-assessment tool.
- a DairyBase financial and physical business analysis
- a one-on-one DairyBase report interpretation by a Mark and Measure report interpretation specialist.
It was great to turn up with these assessment tools already done. It made the time spent at course a lot more effective.2018 Mark and Measure Taupo course attendees
Setting up for success
Knowledge and understanding sets you up for success. But what does success mean? And why is determining our personal vision of success important?
- determine your unique vision of success
- understand the connection between values, personalities, and business
- realise the importance of wellbeing in business
Day 1 concludes with dinner and social time.
Linking farm performance with equity growth
This session is about ensuing your business activities continue to deliver your desired results.
Your dairy business is your engine room; it generates income to support you, your family, employees and employers; and your business provides opportunities to learn, grow, and live out your values, goals, and aspirations.
- review your pre-course DairyBase and Farm Gauge reports and notes
- create future scenarios using the 10-year budget and equity forecast tool
- identify opportunities, focus areas and actions.
We are clear on the key performance indicators that we need to be focusing on for our current and future business opportunities.Mark and Measure 2018 course attendee
Achieving financial freedom
Money isn’t everything, but it gives you choices. Freedom to choose how you spend your time and take opportunities to live your desired life, and the ability to support others.
The Mark and Measure team have observed farmers on the pathway to, and achieving, financial freedom and identified six components detailed in this session to help you understand:
- how you are tracking toward financial freedom
- making an investment decision
- risk management.
Guest farmer speaker
Hear from an inspirational farming couple about their journey and gain insight into what makes their farm business tick. Find out what drives them, how they overcome challenges, and what keeps them motivated.
Day 2 concludes with dinner and a panel discussion with guest farmer speakers.
Aligning today with tomorrow
We all want to make wise decisions but sometimes making the right decisions can be hard.
Strategic Management involves developing a vision or picture of how you want your life to be and the values and principles by which you want to live. The next step is to decide on initiatives and actions that lead you towards achieving this vision.
- Develop your vision
- Identify focus areas in life and business
- Set goals and develop action and action plan aligned to your vision.
2.00pm Course commences
6.00pm Networking, drinks and dinner
8.00am Day Two commences
5.30pm Networking, drinks and dinner
8.00am Day three commences
3.00pm Course concludes
Course commonly asked questions
Will I have to public speak at Mark and Measure?
At Mark and Measure we invite you to participate to the degree you feel comfortable. You can present to the group during some activities and ask questions throughout. It’s up to you; speaking in front of the group is not essential and you don’t have to.
Will I be out of my depth?
Mark and Measure is pitched at farm owners, contractor milkers, and herd owning or variable sharemilkers. We understand farmers, so don’t worry, the content is tailored to you. The course is structured for interactive and hands-on learning and we focus on what you can control. All course content is presented in a workbook to take home and review after the course. We appreciate you may not be used to sitting all day and like to start early; we’ve structured days with enough breaks to keep you fresh and make the most of your time.
With whom should I attend?
Mark and Measure is excellent for business partners, couples, families (with succession in mind) and individuals. You could even attend with a Rural Professional such as your accountant. Make the course a getaway – add a day or two and make it a holiday.
How important is it to attend with my partner?
Partners (couples and business partners) are encouraged to attend Mark and Measure. Not only is it important to take time away from the farm to focus on your business together, but Mark and Measure is a safe place to align your vision. As you work though activities at Mark and Measure, presenters and specialist are available to help should you reach a perceived barrier.
How do I keep motivated after the course?
A core part of the course is your planning wheel worked on throughout the course. Once home, we recommend attendees keep their planning wheel and other course materials in a prominent place. It’s important to keep focused
on your goals, actions, and what matters most to you to keep motivated.
You’ll meet other farmers at Mark and Measure in similar situations with whom you can connect and perhaps stay in contact to keep each other motivated. Research has shown that sharing your goals makes you more accountable.
The DairyNZ Mark and Measure presenters are a phone call away should you require Mark and Measure courserelated advice.
And we recommend you make a regular time without distractions to review your goals and business plan – covered at Mark and Measure.
I loved how focused the seminar was: full days, short breaks and quick turnaround between presenters. It was very respectful of our time.Mark and Measure 2018 course attendee
For more course information contact your Consulting Officer or Annabel Craw, course presenter, Annabel.Craw@dairynz.co.nz, 027 838 4030. Annabel can put you in touch with a past course attendee who has been where you are now.
Download the Mark and Measure flyer
Register your interest
Not registering for Mark and Measure 2019 but interested in future Mark and Measure courses and related information? Sign up here
* Price includes: Pre-course DairyBase analysis and over-the-phone pre-course 1:1 report interpretation. Pre-course Farm Gauge interpretation. Course fees and materials. Meals: Day 1: afternoon tea and dinner. Day 2: morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner. Day 3: morning tea and lunch. Follow-up course support. Excludes: GST., accommodation and transport. Your travel, accommodation and breakfasts must be arranged and paid by you separate to the Mark and Measure registration. When booking at the conference venue, please advise you are with Mark and Measure, DairyNZ, to receive a special rate. Mark and Measure courses are subsidised through the DairyNZ levy.