Areas of interest
- Farm system research, focus on nutrient management
- Co-development, stakeholder participation
- Multi-stakeholder processes
- Regional development
- Grassland ecology
- Organic farming
- Led the recently completed Forages for Reduced Nitrate leaching programme. This programme was twice awarded a Gold by the main funder, the NZ Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.
- Was involved in key New Zealand farm systems research projects for the dairy sector and cross-sectoral:
- Matrix for Good Management project, Environment Canterbury, to develop the Industry-Agreed Good Management Practices Relating to Water Quality.
- Southern Wintering Systems, a DairyNZ-led initiative supporting decisions around winter management of dairy cows to achieve more profitable farms, good outcomes for animals and reduced environmental impacts
- Pastoral 21 Canterbury, a farm system comparison of high and low input farm systems for high profitability and reduced nitrate leaching.
- Initiated and led projects on co-development of Dutch organic dairy farming, regional co-operations and farming systems integrating nature management, animal husbandry and cropping
- Treasurer Netherlands Society for Grassland and Fodder Crops 2006-2011.
- Board member Dutch Network Organic Dairy Products 2004-2007
- Programme Leader Dutch research on organic animal production 2004-2007
- Invited chairperson, speaker and facilitator
Refereed papers/reviews/book chapters:
24 scientific reports; 33 other published articles
- Ad-hoc reviewer various scientific journals
- Professional member of:
- Dutch Grassland Association (affiliated to European Grasslands Federation)
- Zew Zealand Grassland Association
- Australasia-Pacific Extension Network
Share this profile: