As chicory has high tolerance to insects and re-grows it may be a more suitable summer crop than turnips.
Estimating chicory crop yield
The DM% of chicory ranges from 10-15% and therefore yields can vary by up to 50% if DM is over or under estimated. The following outlines the best practise method. Make a 0.25m2 quadrant by bending wire into a square 0.5m x 0.5m.
- Take cuttings from four randomly chosen sites, cut to 5cm height
- Bulk up four samples and weigh
- Multiply by 10,000 to get fresh weight (kg/ha)
- Take 200g sample of fresh chicory
- Dry in microwave or oven and re-weigh or send sample away for DM analysis
- Calculate DM% (dry weight/fresh weight)
- Calculate DM/ha (fresh weight x DM%)