Requirements for transporting calves
8 things calves need in order to be fit for transport.
- Be at least four days old
- Be healthy, with no visible disease (e.g. scours), deformity, injury, blindness or disability
- Have bright eyes and upright ears
- Have the correct ear tag
- Be strong, able to rise from a lying position unassisted, move freely around the pen and bear weight on all four limbs
- Have firm hooves on which the soles show wear (indicating that they have been mobile)
- Have a dry and withered navel
- Have a full tummy – no antibiotic milk
Transporting calves video
Watch the video below to learn how to check if a calf is fit for transport or download the video here.
Fit for transport poster
8 things calves require to be fit for transport.
Use this guideline to help you determine if your animals are fit for transporting.
Standards of care that must be achieved in order to meet the Animal Welfare Act 1999.
Transport within New Zealand
Animal Welfare (Transport within New Zealand) Code of Welfare 2011