- Disease status of new stock is considered carefully before animals are bought or moved.
- Ask questions about animal health, TB status, vaccinations, disease and treatment history.
- Visitors arrive with clean equipment, clothing and footwear and disinfect upon arrival.
- Provide a scrubbing brush and water and a disinfectant spray or footbath for visitors.
- Boundary fences are secure and prevent nose-to-nose contact with neighbouring stock.
- Avoid grazing boundary paddocks when neighbour’s cows are grazing the adjacent paddock - or create double fencing or outrigger fences.
- Young calves are given special protection
- Only allow essential people into the calf shed. Have a separate set of farm clothing and boots to use around calves - clean these regularly.
- Potential weeds and pasture pests are identified and prevented.
- Check with your regional council and the agpest website for advice and information. Check that feed sourced from off-farm doesn’t contain seeds of weeds new to your farm.
- Animal pests are controlled.
- Keep areas around buildings free from clutter and long grass.
- Store feed securely.
- Biosecurity signs are clearly visible and easy to follow.
- Include the name and contact phone number of the farm owner/manager to make it easy for visitors to contact the right person. Here’s a template that you can get printed as a sign from your local sign-writer.
Biosecurity on NZ Dairy Farms
DairyNZ's Nita Harding talks about the biosecurity practices farmers can put in place to protect their businesses and animals.
Concerned by a new pest, weed, or disease?
Call the MPI hotline 0800 80 99 66 or contact your regional council for advice.
Developed with farmers, for farmers. We recommend that you ask your veterinarian to help you work through this check list.
Visitor biosecurity sign
Printable visitor biosecurity sign in A4 size.
Protecting your farm
Use this checklist to identify ways you can help protect your farm from diseases, weeds and pests.
Protect your farm from disease
Cleaning and disinfection poster to help protect your farm from disease.