Each year, bright young Kiwis have the opportunity to apply for their share of more than $300,000 worth of scholarships on offer from the dairy industry. Annual Tuition fees to the value of $6325 are funded for up to 4 years. Recipients are also supported and mentored throughout their time at either Lincoln, Massey or Waikato Universities as well as being given opportunities to network with industry leaders.
The scholarships assist students meeting the costs of university study at Massey University, Lincoln University and The University of Waikato.
Scholarship winners are mentored and supported through university and can expect to gain employment in a variety of positions, either on-farm or in the support areas in dairying.
Eligibility and criteria
- Applicants need to have NCEA Level 3 or better and be either a New Zealand Citizen or New Zealand Permanent Resident. The scholarship is tenable up to four years and pays the full, formal annual tuition fees - up to a maximum of $6325 per year.
- Students need to be registered in a full-time course at either Lincoln University, Massey University or The University of Waikato by 31 March in the year of the award and satisfactorily complete course work in each year preceding re-application.
- The scholarship will be awarded on the recommendation of a Dairy Industry Scholarships Selection Committee comprising representatives from the New Zealand dairy industry, Lincoln, Massey and Waikato Universities.
Scholarships are awarded based on
- Evidence of and/or planned activity to support the New Zealand dairy industry.
- Academic merit.
- Evidence of potential leadership skills and/or service to the community or sporting activities etc.
- Agreement to contribute to the development and promotion of New Zealand dairy industry (such as school promotional visits, career days etc).
- Academic performance in the previous year of the course for re-application by existing scholars.
Applications for the 2018 DairyNZ Scholarship Programme open 1 September 2017 and close 7 December 2017.
As part of the application, you must upload the following scanned documents:
- a cover letter explaining your reasons for applying for this scholarship
- one testimonial or reference from your school or university to support your application
- university results to date (applies to applicants attending university) or an NCEA summary (if you are a school leaver)
- evidence of your New Zealand citizenship or permanent residency.
Consider the below topics before completing the application, as you will be asked to write a short essay:
- outlining your proposed future (and any present) involvement with the New Zealand dairy industry
- demonstrating your leadership skills and/or your involvement with community, sports or other activities.
Applications now closed
For more information, get in touch with one of the following people:
Susan Stokes - DairyNZ
DairyNZ Industry Education Facilitator
Phone: 07 858 3839 Extn 4500
Mobile: 027 702 1263
Sue Smart - Lincoln University
Lincoln University Scholarships Manager
Phone: (03) 423 0081
Dr Kerry Harrington - Massey University
Chair, Applied Science Scholarship Committee (Massey University)
Free Phone: 0800 MASSEY 0800 627 739
Phone: (06) 350 4926
Fax: (06) 350 5753
Sue Berry - University of Waikato
Scholarship Manager (University of Waikato)
Free Phone: 0800 WAIKATO (0800 924 528)
Phone: (07) 858 5161
The scholarships assist students meeting the costs of university study at Lincoln, Massey and Waikato Universities. All have a wide range of undergraduate degrees in dairy-related areas, including:
- Bachelor of Agriculture
- Bachelor of Agricultural Science
- Bachelor of Commerce (Agriculture)
- Bachelor of Commerce (Production Management, Rural Finance)
- Bachelor of Environmental Policy and Planning and Bachelor of Environmental Management and Planning
- Bachelor of Science (Majors in Agritech, Bio-security and Bio-protection, Conservation and Ecology, Food Science and Land, Water, Environment)
- Bachelor of AgriScience - Agriculture
- Bachelor of AgriCommerce
- Bachelor of Science - Agricultural Science or Animal Science or Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Business Studies in Agribusiness
- Bachelor of Applied Economics in Agricultural Economics
The University of Waikato
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Science (Technology)
- Bachelor of Business Analysis (Agribusiness)
- Bachelor of Management Studies (Agribusiness)
Please note: Veterinary Science, Veterinary Technology, Food Science and Food Technology degree programmes are not eligible for DairyNZ Scholarships.
Since the scholarship programme started in 2001, the dairy industry has supported over 285 bright and talented young Kiwis in their university studies. 170 have graduated, some of whom are profiled here.
Their stories are real examples of how the scholarships have not only helped them financially, but created networking, learning and job opportunities they may not have otherwise had.