Plantain is a herb with a fibrous, coarse root system that produces 10-19 tonne DM/ha/year. These yields are comparable to the annual yield of ryegrass pastures.
It tends to be more persistent than chicory, often remaining productive for 2-3 years.
The Farmfacts below are based on NZ trials and experiences growing the plantain cultivar Tonic under dairy cow grazing.
- Uses of plantain
- Special purpose crop
- Grass/clover/plantain mixed pasture
- Plantain as a pasture mix
- Plantain a special purpose crop
- Estimating yield and feed allowance
- Fertiliser requirements
- Dairy systems with plantain
- Herbage quality
- Animal production
- Animal health
- Insect Attack